TOPSHOT - The remains of residential tower block Grenfell Tower are seen from Dixon House a nearby tower block, in west London on June 15, 2017, a day after it was gutted by fire. Firefighters searched for bodies today in a London tower block gutted by a blaze that has already left 12 dead, as questions grew over whether a recent refurbishment contributed to the fire. / AFP PHOTO / Tolga AKMEN (Photo credit should read TOLGA AKMEN/AFP/Getty Images)

Seventy-nine people are confirmed to be either dead or missing and presumed dead, and the number is expected to increase further, police have revealed.
Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said five people had been formally identified and the rest of those missing following the blaze were “sadly” presumed dead.
He told reporters the “awful reality” was that due to the intensity of the fire and the devastation it had caused, it may not be possible to identify all the victims.
Some families have lost more than one member, he said, adding that his “heart went out to them”.
The announcement came ahead of a minute’s silence to be held at 11am across all Government buildings to remember the people who lost their lives and all those affected by the fire last week.
Mr Cundy fought back tears as he told reporters about the scene inside the 24-storey tower in north Kensington, saying it had been “incredibly emotional” …
READ MORE ON INDEPENDENT.CO.UK