The suspect arrested in connection with the Borussia Dortmund bomb attack had no Islamic extremist motive and instead hoped to profit from the blasts, German prosecutors have said.
Investigators found notes at the scene claiming responsibility in the name of Islamic extremists, but quickly doubted their authenticity – as ITV News Security Editor Rohit Kachroo noted.
The 28-year-old German-Russian man stood to cash in through a fixed-price sale of 15,000 shares if the club’s financial standing suffered through tragedy, they alleged.
“A significant share price drop could have been expected if a player had been seriously injured or even killed as a result of the attack,” prosecutors said.
Officials said the suspect, identified as Sergej W, was arrested on Friday in the Tuebingen area in relation to the bus bombing on April 11, which caused minor injuries to Dortmund player Marc Bartra and left a policeman in shock.
Prosecutors said the suspect booked into the …
READ MORE ON ITV.COM